Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Heavy Thoughts

Lately a thought occurred to me while driving and listening to the radio. An excert from a Christian sermon said something about us being in an increasing spiritual battle as the end times draw closer. The pastor speaking on the radio said the lines are being drawn between light and dark and asked, "Which side will you be on?" I chuckled to myself thinking, "Hmmm.....I think I'll go with the light on that one."

But just after joking to myself, a thought occurred...or maybe it was the Holy Spirit speaking loudly to me. "Oh really, you're on the side of the light? Let's look at all of the ways you partake of the dark side and let's evaluate which side you're really on." It occurred to me that every single thing in this world is either of the light or the dark. There really is no middle ground. So when I look at the television shows I watch, the magazines I look at or the music I listen to, for example, which of those are actually not of God and really of the enemy. How much of the enemy's weapons am I exposing myself to. The more I thought about this, the more uncomfortable and convicted I became. How can we really say we're on God's side of this battle if we partake in any way of those alluring tools of the enemy? Think about how absurd it would be for our troops to be hanging out and attending some of the parties held by the Iraqi terrorist insurgents. That just wouldn't happen. Those are the enemies.

Ephesians 5:3-5
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person - such a man is an idolater- has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Ephesians 5:7-10
Therefore do not be partners with them. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.

Now, if that doesn't knock you out of your chair....

So, with that confirmation in the Word of what the Holy Spirit spoke to me, I am going to pledge out in the open for all my friends to hold me accountable that I am going to do my best to take a more firm stand in the little things in my life to walk in the light. The first thing I am going to eliminate is my weekly "OC" (tv show) addiction. I'm not going to watch it anymore and I know it sounds silly, but that is really a hard one for me. That tells me I truly am addicted to it since it is so hard to confess to not watch it anymore. I know if I just pledge secretly to myself I won't stick to it. In the meantime I am going to be cringing as I ask God to show me what else needs to go.

1 comment:

kimberly said...

Thanks leslie for that! It is so good to read! I will be praying and that truly challenges me in my life! Thank you!