Sunday, June 29, 2008



Ode to Heather

I am fortunate to have a friend who takes selflessness to a whole new level. To say that she has the "spiritual gift" of service would be an understatement. I still remember a time years ago when we were housemates. I was an event planner and was working late nights on a big event. I remember talking to Heather on the phone and telling her I would be home late because I was going to have to go to the store after getting off work. Heather asked me what I needed at the store and insisted on going for me so I could come home after work. For some reason that act of kindness has always stood out in my memory as such a sacrificial act of friendship.
This past week, my friend again went above and beyond the call of friendship to serve me. We have been through a complete whirlwind of change recently, moving to East Texas, having a baby and Brad starting a new job. Brad had to fly to Ohio for a week for training and Heather offered to come stay with me.

So, my dear friend loads up her van with her two kids, a huge cooler full of meals for me, her sewing machine and various tools, her own towels and linens (so as not to create laundry for me) and travels 2 hours to get here. While here, she allowed me to sleep in and take naps. She cooked, took care of the kids, transported me to Jake's pediatrician, sewed me some curtains, recovered my dining chairs, went to the grocery store, and brought me back an oreo blast on a particularly emotional day (dealing with a screaming baby with acid reflux). Did I mention she is 24 weeks pregnant?

Thank you Heather, for so many undeserved gifts of service and for a fun week.

Here are some photos of the highlights of our week without the husbands.






1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a HUGE blessing to have such a good friend! I'm so glad you have someone there to take care of you while Brad is gone and when your team family can't be there to do it.

We miss you!