Goodbye to Oprah
Yes, you read the title correctly. Those of you who know me well probably have eyes as big as saucers right now. I, Leslie Cain, am ceasing my daily DVRing of the Oprah show. It is painful to say and even more painful to do since I do believe I have seen every episode since I was in 8th grade. Why, you ask? Well, let me try to explain what I believe God has been speaking to me lately.
I have defended Oprah's Christian faith to cynical friends for years. However, lately even I have been puzzled by the strange concoction of "spirituality" she has been demonstrating and speaking of. I have just tried to ignore some of the weirdness and focus on what I saw to be the "good stuff."
Recently I found myself very intrigued by her new book find, "A New Earth." I figured it was probably a new age work, but she kept praising it every episode and showing people's life-changing testimonies. People are saying it has completely set them free from struggles and strongholds and insecurities. It has revealed some people's life-purposes and removed worry and anxiety from others. I was too curious. Had to get it. After all, I need that. I need transformation in some long-standing problem areas in my life. So, at almost one in the morning after watching a taped episode, I tip-toed into the computer room and began pulling up the book on Amazon to order. I knew what my friends would say, so this would just be my life-changing little secret.
Once I pulled it up and read some of the commentary, my spirit was already warning me of deception. The book does reference scripture and Christianity while also mixing in a little Buddhism and Hinduism, etc. It's a spiritual "stew" of sorts. Pushing forward with my order, I was thinking, "I'll just ignore all that and pull from it what I need." Before I hit submit, I felt God's Spirit speak to me as clearly as if He were standing there. "Is my Word not enough to change you?" As I began to ponder this question and thought about all my attempts to study the Word, I ashamedly thought to myself that it didn't seem to be enough. Here I am 32-years-old and still wrestle with some of the same issues I did when I was 13. Immediately, Hebrews 4:12 jumped in my head.
"For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."
Whoa! Then I heard a second question. "Do you believe this?" I knew what the correct answer was, but I decided to take some time to reflect on it and decide if I REALLY believed it was true. Next day, driving somewhere, what did I hear on the radio? It was a sermon and guess what verse it talked about? Yep. Another verse mentioned was Matthew 7:13.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
That verse was significant to me because I had been thinking about Oprah and her "whatever god you choose" approach to spirituality. I was thinking about how many people following the "new age" path or "many roads to God" concept seem to think their lives are full and satisfying. Oprah says she is blissfully happy and fulfilled. I've seen guests on here show from other religions who claim to be "enlightened," full of light and life, etc. This verse really spoke to me and confirmed there is one road and it is STRAIGHT (another version of this verse in the Bible says that it is straight) and narrow. Few will take this path. The road most will take and believe in will not take them to the Kingdom. I really feel God has let me know that I was opening my brain up to other possibilities. I had began to take a detour off my straight and narrow path. So few are on it and to the world it is boring, self-sacrificing and doesn't always seem to confirm their "God is all love" mentality. It was comforting to know the Bible says very few take this road because I am increasingly feeling abandoned on it. Even among church members, I feel the "mainstream" way of thinking is taking over.
So, I have been having this dialogue with God over the past week. I feel personally convicted to shut off all the outside influences of Oprah, Dr. Phil, Access Hollywood, so-called "self-help" books, etc. (not that it is sin to watch them) and challenge myself to really give His Word a try. I choose to believe what it says about the power of transformation that His Book offers. Jeremiah 23:29 says:
"Is not my word like fire," declares the Lord, "and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?"
Bet you'll never guess what the sermon was about at my church this Sunday? It was six obstacles to transformation. Pastor Bob talked about the power we should all have in our life not just to remain status-quo but to be truly transformed. He mentioned, once again, that the word is living and active and one of his supporting verses was Matthew 7:13-14 about the narrow gate. Wow, is God trying to get His point across or what?
So now, I am going to really put my focus and my faith in His Word, NOTHING ELSE. Those of you who often laugh at me for my quotes from Oprah will hopefully now hear me quoting the Bible instead!
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good for you Leslie. You will see that it is not as hard as you think to give up Oprah. I have been "clean" of Oprah for a little over a year and it is very freeing. I will be praying for you.
Leslie the Writer is BACK! Great post!
And good for you on your fast from Oprah & Co. I'm proud of you.
awesome! awesome!
Post a Comment